Where it looks like a poem, Shakespeare is using verse. You can tell by looking at the page in the text. Blank Verse in Shakespeare's Hamlet. Until then he speaks predominantly in blank verse, with the occasional prose passage when dealing with business. Iago Othello Roderigo Poetry Prose Cassio Soliloquies Prose Poetry Examples Examples Uses Uses Couplet Herald Blank Verse Cassio Blank verse Rhyme Act I Scene I Tush, never tell me! Othello’s speech changes dramatically in the concluding scene of the play. As in many of his plays, Shakespeare employs a combination of prose and blank verse—unrhymed pentameter—in Othello. I take it much unkindly That thou, Iago who hast had my purse Act II Scene II It is Othello's Characters of lower class tend to speak in rough prose in contrast to those of higher standing who speak in verse. The Italian humanist Francesco Maria Molza attempted the writing of consecutive unrhymed verse in 1514 in his translation of Virgil’s Aeneid. Shakespeare's prolific use of blank verse, in fact, arguably helped to popularize the form for centuries to come. 80% of Othello is written in verse, so it’s interesting to watch out for where it isn’t used. For me blank verse is ‘the sound of sincerity’. At the beginning of Act 5 Scene 2 Othello’s tight self-control and iron resolve is reflected in the regularity of the iambic pentameter he uses as he philosophises on the need for Desdemona to die: But it is only the sound of sincerity, because – and Iago is the prime example of this – it is possible for someone to sound sincere, when in fact they are lying through their teeth. Shakespeare's use of blank verse, or unrhymed iambic pentameter, is an important element of his plays. If it looks like writing in a book that goes the whole way across the page, he's writing in prose. Occasionally, Shakespeare uses metrical moves to create a … Adapted from unrhymed Greek and Latin heroic verse, blank verse was introduced in 16th-century Italy along with other classical metres. This blank verse does not have any rhyme scheme, but it brings a slight rhythm and cadence that mimics a pattern readers could hear and feel like listening to nature.

"Prose is always used for a purpose in the plays.

In rhymed verse, the words that fall at the end of lines sound very similar, like "love" and "dove," or "moon" and "June." Blank verse had been used in the old tragedy Gorbaduc, and became established as the rhythm for noble and portentous speech, and as such was used in many other succeeding plays.

Shakespeare sometimes uses rhyming couplets in his plays, which are two consecutive lines of rhyming verse. I often tell students that "No, Shakespeare did not forget how to write blank verse. In this passage, Hamlet curses his mother for remarrying so soon after her husband's death. Like all of Shakespeare's plays, Hamlet is composed in blank verse.

Ere yet the salt of most un right eous tears

Example #8: …