However, in general, folklore in Scotland has its origins in the medieval North Sea community. Tales of the Seal People: Scottish Folk Tales (International Folk Tale Series) Scottish Myths and Legends. Scottish folktales Scotland is a country in Europe, part of the United Kingdom. An assortment of some of our favorites are available as new or used copies. Scotland has a rich Celtic History going back over 2,000 years, at a time when superstition was rife and where unusual events were "explained" by stories and inventions which were then passed on by word of mouth. Though the tradition has been in decline for over a century, many tales have been preserved thanks to the efforts of dedicated collectors and Gaelic scholars. Background . Many of these are of Gaelic origin and must have drifted across the Highland Line in earlier days to become part of the Lowland oral tradition in Scots. An unpublished collected made by Peter Buchan, with an introduction by John A. Fairley. During the 18th century Scotland was a commercial, intellectual and industrial power in Europe. Scottish Folktale and Fairy Tale Picture Books The Tale of Tam Lin by Lari Don is one of the most well known fairy tales to come out of Scotland and I put two versions on this list. A … The story uses a lot of old English and words that arent used that much anymore so sometimes its hard to understand. And I have not told the stories for the sake of anything they may teach, but because of their sheer beauty, and I expect you to enjoy them as hundreds and hundreds of Irish and Scottish children have already enjoyed them—without knowing or wondering why. My favorite story was The Milk-White Doo which is about a young boy turning into a doo and pulling a prank on his mean Step-mother. People have been fond of telling and hearing stories in the Scottish Highlands and Hebridean islands since time immemorial, known in Gaelic as Sgeulachdan. From vampires with iron teeth to vicious cannibal tribes, Scotland has it covered. Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales is a pretty good book. Many fine collections of Scottish folktales, fairy tales, and myths have been published over the years. In Scottish mythology, selkies (also spelled silkies, sylkies, selchies) or selkie folk (Scots: selkie fowk) meaning "seal folk" are mythological beings capable of therianthropy, changing from seal to human form by shedding their skin. 12 Creepy Scottish Urban Legends That Will Freak You Right Out. Charles Tibbits, an editor at W.W. Gibbings, helped compile a collection of 33 tales from Scotland into The folklore of Scotland is a tapestry of culture and history, but more importantly, a portal for the imagination. Now I, for my part, think you will like these Celtic Tales very much indeed. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. by Hilary Mitchell. It is therefore not surprising that Scotland has an extensive heritage of myths and legends. Tales of the Seal People: Scottish Folk Tales (International Folk Tale Series) [Duncan Williamson, Chad McCail, Chad McCail, Chad McCail] on Amazon.com. My favorite was "The Gold of Fairnilee," a Victorian-era fairy tale that incorporates many of the Medieval and ancient Scottish themes of … Ancient Scottish Tales. 1. Your purchase will help support the non-profit activitites of Compass Rose Cultural Crossroads. They are found in folktales and mythology originating from the Northern Isles of Scotland.. It is true they are sad, but you do not always want to be amused. Scottish Folk Tales: Scotland has a unique heritage of folk tales and fairy tales. This is a delightful collection of Scottish tales. Peterhead, 1908. by Sir George Douglas This is a collection of Scottish folklore which will appeal to all ages. Scottish folk tales circulated through the mouths of peasants, but were welcomed by all. Tam Lin is based on a traditional ballad from the Scottish Borders. There are animal tales, stories of the fairies of Scotland including Brownies, Bogles, Kelpies, Mermaids and others, and tales of Witches and of Giants. The book has about 20 stories in it. BuzzFeed Staff.