On the Pulse of Morning Maya Angelou 1993 Author Biography Poem Summary Themes Style Historical Context Critical Overview Criticism Sources For Further Study Poet, playwright, composer, actress, singer, and human rights activist, Maya Angelou is heralded as a “people’s poet,” her work written in a common voice which is … The legendary poet, memoirist, activist, teacher and civil rights campaigner once wrote: “While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated.” Her first memoir, Dr. Angelou’s was a prolific life; as a singer, dancer, activist, poet, and writer she inspired generations with lyrical modern African-American thought that pushed … In My Journey with Maya, Smiley recalls a joyful friendship filled to the brim with sparkling conversation -- in Angelou's gardens surrounded by her caged birds, before lectures, sharing meals, and on breaks from it all, they sought Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings explained with chapter summaries in just a few minutes! “Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou”, p.71, Random House 604 Copy quote We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty. Maya Angelou has seven published autobiographies, three books of essays, several books of poems, list of plays, movies and TV shows to her name. I would recommend this biography to middle school students because I think it is Maya Angelou: Journey of the Heart is a biography written for young readers around middle … Maya Angelou: Journey of the Heart continues to receive high ratings because this biography shows a different side of Maya Angelou that many of us know. Maya Angelou was a civil rights activist, poet and award-winning author known for her acclaimed 1969 memoir, 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings', and her numerous poetry and essay collections. Distinctly referred to as “a redwood tree, with deep roots in American culture,” icon Maya Angelou gave people the freedom to think about their history in a way they never had before. Maya Angelou knew how to live through difficulty.

she breathed her last on May 28, 2014.