Dear diary: five famous diary writers By Charles Raspin September 5 2016 A diary can be a place to hide private thoughts, or a record of personal memories, or just a way of organizing a day. Reading back over the diaries of my own youth (all marked “PRIVITE”) yields such notable entries as a list of elf species I was in the process of discovering, and a rap about (an entirely fictional) scenario in which I found someone dead in the toilet of a cinema. It’s the place literary legends work out sloppy first drafts, explore their deepest anxieties, and gossip about the people in their lives that they later turn into characters.

These five diaries offer a glimpse into the minds of our favorite authors. Keeping a diary or journal is an invaluable crutch for writers and indeed anyone who wants to keep track of their thoughts. A writer’s diary is a magical thing. Dear diary: five famous diary writers By Charles Raspin 5th September 2016 A diary can be a place to hide private thoughts, or a record of personal memories, or just a way of organizing a day.