Quote 1 "I ought of shot that dog myself George, I shouldn't ought to let no stranger shoot my dog" Quote 2 "Curley's gonna want to shoot him. When Lennie says, “You ask him right away, George, so he won’t kill no more of ’em,” Lennie’s possible puppy symbolizes the innocence and fragility of life, the childlike quality of Lennie’s personality, and a foreshadowing of the tragic events to come regarding Lennie and the puppy. George chooses to kill Lennie because of Lennie’s uncontrollable killing. Someday—we’re gonna get the jack together and we’re gonna have a little house and a couple of acres an’ a cow and some pigs and—” “ An’ live off the fatta the lan’ ,” Lennie … George does not make a wise decision in Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. He knows that Lennie doesn't mean any harm, but the fact is that he does harm: he kills mice; he terrifies women; and he's going to end up killing someone.

Quotes George and Lennie’s Farm “O.K. George killed Lennie because Lennie killed Curley's wife and George didn't want Lennie to suffer when Curley finds him so he kills him instead. George thinks he is doing the right thing by killing Lennie, but really he is making a huge mistake.

Humanistic background of why did George kill Lennie George begins to see a pattern of aggression coming from Lennie and wants to put it to an end because Lennie is hurting too many others unintentionally and he sees Lennie is quick to frustrate and panic and is lacking in the ability to control his violent reactions. However, George is also aware, as indicated by this quotation, that his life would in many respects be much easier if he didn't have to care for Lennie.
Lennie does not mean to kill anyone but he is unaware of his strength. We have to say it: maybe George shouldn't be protecting Lennie. nisarg | Student.