Another foil we see is Ophelia, the “love” of Hamlet.

Hamlet, after finding out that his father was murdered, starts acting crazy and giving Ophelia mixed signals about his love for her. Ophelia can be considered a foil to Hamlet because she helps us see the different attitudes Hamlet has toward certain things. Instead, only in revenge and death do we see her as a character foil. Hamlet says he is in love with her and pines for her, but, the most important plot in the play is not that of romance, and so it is not the contrast/comparison of character like Romeo and Juliet that can be made. Ophelia is a foil to Hamlet. Plays have foils to help the audience better understand the more important characters in the play. THE ROLES OF LAERTES AND OPHELIA AS CHARACTER foilS TO HAMLET “The spirit that I have seen May be the devil: and the devil hath power To assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps Out of my weakness and my melancholy, As he is very potent with such spirits, Abuses to damn me:” (2. 2. Ophelia as a Foil to Hamlet In Shakespeare's tragedy, Hamlet, the audience finds a docile, manipulated, scolded, victimized young lady named Ophelia.