We promise you’ll see the benefits quickly.

How long does it take you to read a chapter from the book of your class and completely absorb it so you're ready for a quiz? How to Take Notes from a Textbook.

With the rising costs of textbooks today, you may be interested in writing your own textbook. Skim the chapter for heading, subheadings, and terms in bold . Take a sheet of paper or a notecard and write down questions that you want to ask in class (to understand a concept or to ask how it connects to something else you've read,etc.).

Notes are handy for your own reference and memorization. If you’ve ever thought about writing a book, you’ve undoubtedly read that it takes “6 months to a year” to write a book. How to Take Notes from a Textbook the Right Way Now that you’ve seen the major mistakes most teens make, let’s dive into how to take notes from the textbook the right way .

Ideally, information in your textbook will review and supplement what you are learning in a class. Or you think you need to take time off in order to get it done and wonder who will “man the store” while you take time to write.

You write a sentence, then a paragraph, then maybe if you’re lucky, an entire chapter.

But as I look back on what it really takes to become an author, I realize how different the process was from my expectations. Write down any observations or opinions you want to share with the class.

For those of you who are already using this type of active textbook reading strategy, congratulations on … How to Write a Textbook. To begin with, you don’t just sit down to write a book.

But if you put in the work now to get used to reading a textbook more effectively, consider the time you’ll save in the long-run.

That’s not how writing works.