They were the only black family on their block, and the prejudice they encountered only strengthened their bond. Rachel Robinson and Jackie Robinson Jackie Robinson and his wife, Rachel, waiting to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities about communist infiltration of minority groups, 1949. Frank Robinson. Pasadena Junior College.

Jackie and his wife had three children. father. I knew I was kind of an experiment. It was founded in 1973 by Rachel Robinson. Lester Maddox and Jim Brown Get Into Heated Debate on Segregation | The Dick Cavett Show - Duration: 13:15. The Jackie Robinson Foundation is a national, 501 non-profit organization, which gives scholarships to minority youths for higher education, as well as preserving the legacy of Baseball Hall of Fame member, Jackie Robinson.

Rachel Robinson (center) with children Jackie Jr. and Sharon at one of Jackie's baseball games, circa 1950.

Jackie Robinson and his future wife Rachel met at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1941. From sharing the travails of discrimination to providing a sanctuary at home, Rachel Robinson … Jackie and Rachel Robinson hosted legendary jazz concerts at their home in Stamford, Connecticut, beginning in 1963, as fundraisers for jailed civil rights activists. How Jackie Robinson's Wife Helped Him Break Baseball's Color Barrier. Jack Roosevelt Robinson, Jr. son. Jerry Robinson. Learn More. Wife, activist, nurse, educator, Rachel Robinson is a trailblazer herself & alongside her husband. The iconic Afternoon of Jazz shows drew some of the most recognizable names in the genre including Dizzie Gillespie and Ella Fitzgerald. Edgar Robinson. brother. View Full Image. Jack Roosevelt Robinson was born in Cairo, Georgia in 1919 to a family of sharecroppers. Jackie Robinson has sixteen grandchildren. After Jackie Robinson’s untimely death in 1972 from a heart attack at the age of 53, Mrs. Robinson was determined to keep her husband’s legacy of … Jackie Robinson was the first black Major League Baseball (MLB) player of the modern era. July 19, 1922 | Rachel Isum born. brother. 1922. Rachel Isum born.

Mack Robinson. 1937. Jackie Robinson, who would have turned 100 on Jan. 31, is often remembered for his courage, athleticism, tenacity and sacrifice. Jackie Robinson Foundation After Robinson’s death in 1972, his wife Rachel established the Jackie Robinson Foundation dedicated to honoring his life and work. brother. Rachel Isum is born to Charles R. and Zelle Isum. Interview was conducted in 1972. Private.

wife. Mrs. Robinson is also the founder of the Jackie Robinson Foundation, which provides educational and leadership opportunities for minority students nationwide. A photo of late baseball player Jackie Robinson and his wife Rachel sits in a window beside a newly unveiled plaque outside the former residence of Jackie Robinson in Montreal, February 28, 2011. By confronting Jim Crow – … Jackie Robinson and his wife and family celebrate after his election to the Baseball Hall of Fame in January,1962 in their home in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. Pasadena Junior College. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images

child. February 1, 1937 | Pasadena, CA. His mother, Mallie Robinson, single-handedly raised Jackie and her four other children. The Dick Cavett Show 1,784,843 views In 1997, the world celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Jackie’s breaking Major League Baseball’s color barrier. Download Rachel Robinson Biography. In 1950, a biographical film named “The Jackie Robinson Story” directed by Alfred E. Green featured the baseball star along with actress Ruby Dee who played his wife…

child. Robinson broke the baseball color barrier when he debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. He was the first black man to openly play in the major leagues since the 1880s.

Photo: Archive Photos/Getty Images Rachel fostered a … Jack Roosevelt "Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was the first African-American Major League Baseball (MLB) player of modern times. Willa Mae Walker.
Jackie Robinson …

mother. Since he is now deceased his surviving wife finds great solace in spending time with their grandchildren. Rachel Robinson, the wife of Major League Baseball pioneer Jackie Robinson, answered questions from students on February 11, 1998, during a live interview. Jackie Robinson (right) and his wife, Rachel (left), at their Stamford, Connecticut, home on Jan. 23, 1962, after Robinson’s election into the Baseball Hall of Fame. AP; Plenty of times I wanted to haul off when somebody insulted me for the color of my skin, but I had to hold to myself. Learn More. …

The couple married five years later in 1946, shortly after World War II. Mallie Robinson. sister. Private.
Jackie Robinson’s life and legacy will be remembered as one of the most important in American history. About Jackie Robinson.