"Kristeva is one of the leading voices in contemporary French criticism, on a par with such names as Genette, Foucault, Greimas and others. Like “[the abject] is simply a frontier, a repulsive gift that the Other, having become alter ego, drops so that the "I" does not disappear in it but finds, in that sublime alienation, a forfeited existence.” ― Julia Kristeva, Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection. An Essay on Abjection trans. James, folk tales of British corpse ways, and historical non-fiction about vampires from the Balkans. Visit Julia Kristeva's website (in French) About the Author Julia Kristeva, internationally known psychoanalyst and critic, is Professor of Linguistics at the University de Paris VII. Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection Summary & Study Guide Julia Kristeva This Study Guide consists of approximately 28 pages of chapter summaries, quotes, character analysis, themes, and more - everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of Powers of Horror. She identifies that abjection represents a revolt against that which gave us our own existence or state of being. From the Back Cover. Julia Kristeva Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection July 24, 2017 / DC / 17 Comments ‘Every year around Halloween—near the first of October, really, as I like to have a whole month for this—I tend to re-read old ghost stories by the like of M.R. At first, in Powers of Horror… She turns to the work of Louis-Ferdinand Celine as an almost ideal example of the cathartic, artistic expression of the abject. I will then proceed to outline how Kristeva's theory of abjection works by summarising the main points of The Powers Of Horror: An Essay On Abjection. 70 likes. . . . The French word propre, for instance, has kept the meaning of the Latin proprius (one's own, characteristic, proper) and also acquired a new one: clean. Celine in Kristeva: Julia Kristeva's Powers of Horror. Kristeva is one of the leading voices in contemporary French criticism, on a par with such names as Genette, Foucault, Greimas and others. In Powers Of Horror:An Essay On Abjection Kristeva identifies that we first experience abjection at the point of separation from the mother. ― Julia Kristeva, Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection. Kristeva is one of the leading voices in contemporary French crit... Read 76 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. Kristeva examines the notion of abjection—the repressed and literally unspeakable forces that linger inside a person's psyche—and traces the role the abject has played in the progression of history, especially in religion.