This argument for the existence of God has fascinated philosophers ever since Anselm first stated it. The third theistic argument I wish to discuss is the famous “ontological argument” first formulated by Anselm of Canterbury in the eleventh century. This essay critically examines Plantinga's modal version. The ontological argument that is most touted these days is Alvin Plantinga’s modal version. What was particularly intetesting was seeing Alvin Plantinga's rebuttal of the argument he would later come to support, although only after tweaking it (which I think has really transormed it and is the most convincing form of it that I've ever read). Today, we'll begin with Alvin Plantinga's modal ontological argument for God. As is typically done, we might think of a “possible world” as a complete way that things might have been. He's the John A. O'Brien Professor of Philosophy Emeritus at the University of Notre Dame and has written groundbreaking books on the problem of evil, God and science, and philosophical arguments for God. I have chosen Plantinga’s version for two reasons: It is relatively simple. Although the Ontological Argument comes in many forms, in this article we will be examining Alvin Plantinga’s Modal Ontological Argument.

There are several videos defending it on YouTube, and more than one caller to The Atheist Experience has used it to make his case. Alvin Plantinga – The Ontological Argument. An ontological argument is a philosophical argument for the existence of God that uses ontology.Many arguments fall under the category of the ontological, and they tend to involve arguments about the state of being or existing. Anselm’s argument was not presented in order to prove God’s existence; rather, Proslogion was a work of meditation in which he documented how the idea of God became self-evident to him.

Plantinga is one of the most respected and influential philosophers today.

The author concludes that while the argument is probably formally valid, it is ultimately unsound. Plantinga’s ontological argument Alvin Plantinga famously defends a version of the ontological argument that makes use of the notion of possible worlds . St. Anselm. (One online defense of it can be seen here.) Theologian and philosopher Anselm of Canterbury (1033–1109) proposed an ontological argument in the second and third chapters of his Proslogion. Pretty deep stuff. The ontological argument for the existence of God has enjoyed a recent renaissance among philosophers of religion. William Lane Craig considers Alvin Plantinga's version of the ontological argument as having "the best chance of being cogent" (WLC 2004, p. 125: WLC 2008, p. 183), because "the formulation and defense of the argument provided by Plantinga are the most sophisticated in the long history of the ontological argument, profiting from the missteps and oversights of his predecessors" (WLC 2008, p. 183). Nonetheless, Plantinga's version has generated much interest and discussion. It uses modal logic, which if you have read Article 02: The Cosmological Argument you will already be familiar with. I have to say, I think several of the objections presented against the ontological argument basically miss the mark.