Eliot’s poem “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock,” the speaker makes allusions to three well known figures: an artist, Michelangelo; a biblical figure, Lazarus; and a character out of a work of fiction, Hamlet.

Allusions to other works of literature are often harder to identify and understand than allusions to events or people, since they require a reader to have familiarity with the text being referenced. Themes and Allusions Throughout T.S. This quote is important because it explains the reason to … Allusion is a literary device in which the writer or speaker refers either directly or indirectly to a person, event, or thing in history or to a work of art or literature.

Historical Allusions: Throughout the novel, Orwell uses allusions to historical events, individuals, and locations.
Let's look at a few: 1.) ... (I speak not of what the doctor really did or said that he did, but, as more to my purpose, of what was then spoken of as having been done by him), who preserved a piece of vermicelli in a glass case till by some extraordinary means it began to move with voluntary motion. Allusions Page 28: “McCandless could endeavor to explain that he answered to statues of a higher order—that as a latter-day adherent of Henry David Thoreau, he took as gospel the essay “On the Duty of Civil Disobedience” and thus considered it his moral responsibility to flout the laws of the state”(p28).

Martin Luther King's iconic "I Have a Dream" speech is full of allusions.

What is the word origin of allusion? Allusion definition is - an implied or indirect reference especially in literature; also : the use of such references. How to use allusion in a sentence. Author’s Introduction Literary. Why is it important? top of page. When captain Beatty was talking to Montag about why books are being banned in the society of Fahrenheit 451, he quoted this line to show Montag how none of the books can make everybody happy. Allusion connects the content of a text with the larger world. Many phrases used in everyday speech are actually allusions to works of literature.

Main Ideas Allusions.