Its success depends on the establishment of a relationship between therapist and client which, when it ends, can evoke feelings of abandonment, anger, grief - especially in individuals who have suffered painful losses in their past, whether of persons, opportunities or roles. Ending a counseling relationship, especially if it has been positive, can be a very difficult thing. It's almost a paradox, but the goal of a successful counselling relationship is to, eventually, come to an end! Hi Hazel. 3 thoughts on “ Ending of counselling relationship ” Pingback: Writing Clinical will as a Counsellor Karen McMillan October 31, 2018 at 7:12 pm. Endings in counselling may be planned or unplanned.Endings can be difficult or painful, but at the same time offer a great growth opportunity for clients who have previously experienced traumatic endings.. Ideally, you and the client should be aware that the last counselling session is … Sometimes therapists and clients build a rewarding relationship and it may be difficult for both to formalise the end of that bond; but nevertheless, it is a vital step to effectively mark the success of the process and move forward. I like your ways of helping, encouraging clients with aftercare, as I feel it is very important that a client feels they have achieved and are validated. I quickly found, both from my own experience and from reading the literature, that counselling is not like this.