When I went to high school, teachers taught us to underline book titles. Use quotation marks, rather than italics or underlining, to identify the titles of articles.

instead, use italics. Arial), and italics for serif fonts (e.g.

Should I Use Italics or Quotation Marks? With the advent of all things digital, that changed. What you may not know, however, is when to use which one. Or are none of these correct? by Debra. Introduce to them some of the rules of italics and quotation marks. Use quotation marks, rather than italics or underlining, to identify the titles of short plays.

Quotation marks are used to show that the text is taken word for word from another source, to call attention to an important word or phrase, or when using a technical term for the first time. We use single quotation marks for quotes within quotes. And the major works of art should use italics.

Italics vs. Quotation marks and italics set off or give special emphasis to words or phrases in a sentence. Up until a few decades ago, writers had two choices: write in longhand or use a typewriter. Quotation marks are used to present linguistic examples and titles of book chapters and articles in the text. This shows that they’re parts of larger works. Italics for Works That Stand Alone. Titles . To hedge or downplay meaning (do not use any punctuation with these expressions) A Style Guide to Formatting Titles. 381 2 2 silver badges 10 10 bronze badges. If an entire sentence or passage of two or more sentences appear in a foreign language, type the passage in plain type and put the passage in quotation marks. – B D Apr 2 '18 at 12:52. add a comment | 2 Answers Active Oldest Votes. If only one unfamiliar foreign word or brief phrase is being used, italicize it.

If a word needs to be emphasized but is not being quoted, you should avoid putting the word in quotes and use italics instead. Many teachers require students to use Modern Language Association style for research papers and essays covering language arts, cultural studies, and the humanities . What I’m talking about is the stylized treatment of text. Indirect quotation: Elsa said that she was skipping choir practice because she was tired. I know who the killer is, she wrote, but she never managed to send her message. When we refer to the title of a work, how do we know whether to use italics or quotation marks? The rules for using quotation marks around a single word for emphasis have changed since people began using word processors for their writing. Big Things and Little Things. If you choose one style at the beginning of your work, maintain that style throughout.

Don't use quotation marks around indirect quotations: Direct quotation: Elsa said, "I'm too tired to go to choir practice.

In this post, I am trying to generalize and contrast the rules of using quotation marks and italics correctly in written communication. If you can’t remember whether to use italics or quotation marks , try asking yourself if you’d be able to buy the title at the store by itself. If you wanted to cut and paste, you needed scissors and adhesive tape. 7. Review of Quotation Marks and Italics QUOTATION MARKS I. That's about as far as many people can remember. Here is a formula we recommend: Put the title of an entire composition in italics. Times New Roman). Books are italicized (or underlined) and articles are put in quotation marks.

Use quotation marks the first time the word or phrase is used; thereafter, do not use quotation marks. The correct use of quotation marks can be confusing for authors, especially those whose primary language is not English (ESL authors). Put the title of a short work—one that is or could be part of a larger undertaking—in quotation marks. Handling Titles of Works. 2. Besides setting off other people’s words, quotation marks have a couple of other uses.

What you may not know, however, is when to use which one. In fact a lot got changed. As a general rule, don't put quotation marks around the titles of books, newspapers, films, or magazines; instead, put those titles in italics . On the other hand, shorter works (like short stories, poems, individual songs, short films, and individual TV episodes) usually use quotation marks. When writers follow guidelines for the use of italics and quotation marks, their papers become more consistent and readable. Marten, good one. In fact a lot got changed. The numeral 2 was displayed onscreen. "No More Twinkies?

Use quotation marks in your text if a character or narrator is thinking about or speaking a chapter title, not for your own chapter titles. An ironic comment is one that means something other than (often the opposite of) what it says. she yelled (the whole sentence, including quotation marks, is italicized.) Daniel on August 01, 2007 11:14 pm. With some exceptions, most style books tell us to use italics when we write the title of a work that stands alone as a single entity. 10 Responses to “Punctuation Errors: Quotation Marks for Emphasis” Marten Veldthuis on August 01, 2007 10:07 pm. Sometimes it is difficult to choose between italics (or underlining) or quotation marks when you are referring to a title or name in your writing. Quotation marks and italics are both also used for other purposes in fiction. A Style Guide to Formatting Titles.