I think both her father’s death and her relationship with Hamlet made her depressed and unfortunately made her commit this awful act of suicide. He’s received a profound psychological shock. To Hamlet, she is a sexual object, a corrupt and deceitful lover.

He keeps going, too.
a brothel. The fact that the water completely weighs her down and she doesn’t even car is shocking because she shouldn’t have died but her showing that shows how depressed she was. The reason for Ophelia's madness, which is introduced in Act 4 Scene 5, is never directly stated in Hamlet. Is Ophelia driven mad by her love for Hamlet, or is she the victim of a society that has created impossible expectations for its women? Ophelia could be very much the feminine side of Hamlet. Hamlet seems to know that Ophelia is helping her dad spy on him, and he accuses her (and all women) of being a "breeder of sinners" and orders Ophelia to a "nunnery" (3.1.131; 132), i.e. He kills him in Act 5. To her father and brother, Ophelia is the eternal virgin, the vessel of morality whose purpose is to be a dutiful wife and steadfast mother. He doesn't kill anyone in Act 4 and is in fact offstage for most of the Act. Hamlet is a very intelligent man, university level, and a master of deception. He claims that he is putting it for his own purpose. With no mother to guide her, she has no way of deciphering the contradictory expectations. But she can't call him out on his language, because, as a good girl, she can't admit that she knows what it means. Supposedly, that choice is what caused the rift in Ophelia’s psyche and made the loss of both men, in various ways, impossible for Ophelia to bear. The Cliff Notes of Ophelia’s character analysis states that the moment Ophelia lied to Hamlet, telling him that her father was home instead of hiding with Claudius watching the interaction, was the moment Ophelia chose sides. The bit where he goes to see Ophelia immediately after meeting the Ghost happens off-stage, but Ophelia describes it to Polonius (and I suspect ought to mime it.) In act II of the play, Hamlet decides to put on his ?antic disposition?. After giving Ophelia a long list of what he sees as women’s faults, Hamlet confesses: “It hath made me mad” (III.i). The fact that Hamlet’s biggest emotional outbursts are directed against the sexual feelings of the women in his life suggests that his mad behavior is not just a ploy to disguise his revenge plans. Hamlet doesn't kill the king in Act 4.

Her heart has convinced her that Hamlet loved her, though he swears he never did.